Dr Manoe Janssen, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Dr Manoe Janssen works in the group of Professor Roos Masereeuw where she focuses on understanding cellular pathways that can be pharmacologically triggered to enhance the repair and regeneration of the kidney. She specializes in genetic factors and gene mutations that affect proximal tubule function, in particular the role of the CTNS gene in cystinosis. For this she developed human in vitro cell models for drug testing and is currently optimizing CRISPR/Cas9 mediated gene repair.
In November 2008 she completed the master programme Molecular Mechanisms of Disease at the Radboud University Nijmegen and started her PhD project at the department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Radboudumc. In January 2013 she moved to Leuven in Belgium to perform her postdoctoral project at the Stem Cell Institute. She joined the group of Roos Masereeuw at the department of Pharmacology and Toxicology in Nijmegen in January 2015, and moved with the group to Utrecht in July 2015. During her PhD she received the Young Hepatologist Award from the Dutch Society for Hepatology (NVH) and the IGMD Junior Award from the Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease (IGMD). In 2016 she received the Kolff Junior Postdoc Grant from the Dutch Kidney Foundation to continue her research into genetic kidney diseases.
1. Janssen MJ, Nieskens TTG, Steevels TAM, Caetano-Pinto P, den Braanker D, Mulder M, Ponstein Y, Jones S, Masereeuw R, den Besten C, Wilmer MJ. (2019) Therapy with 2′-O-Me Phosphorothioate Antisense Oligonucleotides Causes Reversible Proteinuria by Inhibiting Renal Protein Reabsorption. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. Dec 6;18:298-307.
2. Abyar S, Khandar AA, Salehi R, Abolfazl Hosseini-Yazdi S, Alizadeh E, Mahkam M, Jamalpoor A, White JM, Shojaei M, Aizpurua-Olaizola O, Masereeuw R, Janssen MJ (2019). In vitro nephrotoxicity and anticancer potency of newly synthesized cadmium complexes. Sci Rep. Oct 11;9(1):14686.
3. Mihajlovic, M, Hariri, S, Westphal, KCG, Janssen, MJ, Oost, MJ, Bongiovanni, L, et al. (2019). Safety evaluation of conditionally immortalized cells for renal replacement therapy. Oncotarget 10: 5332-5348.
4. Jamalpoor, A, Sparidans, RW, Pou Casellas, C, Rood, JJM, Joshi, M, Masereeuw, R, Janssen, MJ. (2018). Quantification of cystine in human renal proximal tubule cells using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Biomed Chromatogr 32: e4238.
5. Janssen, MJ, Arcolino, FO, Schoor, P, Kok, RJ, and Mastrobattista, E (2016). Gene based therapies for kidney regeneration. Eur J Pharmacol 790: 99-108.